Document Type : Mini-Review
Environmental Health Research Center, Research Institute for Health Development, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences, Sanandaj, Kurdistan, Iran
Louisiana Tech University, Collage of Engineering & Science, Ruston, Louisiana, USA
Department of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, University of Kurdistan, Sanandaj, Kurdistan, Iran
There are therapeutic and side effects of caffeine. Caffeine as a psychoactive compound can impact the function of the nervous system and lead to alterations in cognitive and physical performance. Therefore, caffeine can be consumed as a nutritional ergogenic aid. However, several side effects including headache and nervousness have been recognized in doses of more than 400 mg daily. In addition, this alkaloid has shown antioxidant, antineurodegenerative, anticancer, and antimicrobial activities. In the case of antioxidant activity, caffeine showed anti-cataract potential and delayed the onset of lens clouding. Recently, for increasing therapeutic effects, numerous organic and inorganic nanomaterials such as cosmeceutical nanogels, lipid-based nanocarrier, hydrogels, protein-polysaccharide nanoconjugates, and cyclodextrin have been employed. This article has tried to cover the antioxidant, antineurodegenerative, anticancer, and antimicrobial activities of caffeine based on recent investigations.
- Caffeine in a dose-dependent manner leads to a reduction in AOPP and MDA values.
- In the case of antioxidant activity, caffeine displays anti-cataract activity by delaying the onset of lens clouding.
- As the scavenging effect, caffeine reacts with the hydroxyl radical.
- The N-heterocyclic carbene silver complex anchored on Fe3O4 NPs functionalized by caffeine metabolite can hinder cancer cell proliferation in magnetic hyperthermia.
- Caffeine can be used to green synthesize metal NPs such as AgNPs.